Title: FHA/VA Underwriter
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisor: VP of Underwriting
Keystone Funding is a non-depository financial institution whose vision is to disrupt the mortgage lending industry by leveraging technology, deploying innovative strategies, and maintaining a commitment to our culture and core values. We believe in making a difference in the communities we serve. We value providing great jobs to great people, and we strive to positively impact our customers’ lives. Our customers include our employees, clients, and families who trust us to provide financing for their homes.
The FHA/VA Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for providing underwriting decisions that meet the credit and risk policies of KFI and provide exceptional customer service to the KFI Team Members and Broker Clients who interact with the underwriting team.
The FHA/VA Mortgage Underwriter will:
- Be capable of underwriting a minimum of 3-4 new loans per day, while clearing conditions of loans resubmitted into underwriting.
- Review conditions promptly to remain in compliance with posted turn times.
- Analyze all areas of the mortgage loan application, including credit, income, assets, collateral, and compliance documents to ensure the loan meets company guidelines.
- Review income documentation and calculate income per investor, agency, and company guidelines.
- Review assets to determine reserves and cash to close per investor and company guidelines.
- Ensure accuracy DU/LP, Loan Transmittal, and 1003 at underwriting approval and/or updated approvals due to subsequent changes in loan terms.
- Evaluate appraisals and preliminary title reports to determine the property meets company and investor requirements. Utilize AVM to ensure the valuation is acceptable.
- Evaluate Fraud report findings and condition the loan accordingly.
- Respond to QC findings, Audits, and Investor Suspense issues as needed.
- Provide feedback to management on suggested policy changes and/or enhancements.
- Maintains a high level of customer service with quick response times and accurate information (both internally and externally).
- Performs other duties as assigned, including assisting other team members and management as needed.
- DE and SAR/LAPP re quired
- 5-7 years’ experience in mortgage underwriting
- Collateral, appraisal, and title underwriting experience required
- A comprehensive understanding of the mortgage underwriting environment
- A working knowledge of underwriting processes and procedures and mortgage industry standards
- Mortgage customer service experience with excellent client relations skills required
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills are essential
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a remote setting
- Detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to support multiple initiatives concurrently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Mortgage Loan Origination Systems (LOS) – PC Lender
- FHA Connection/VA Portal
Keystone Funding, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.